Saturday, May 29, 2010

Guest Blogger -- really special chocolate mousse




So my PhD-critical-crim-soc bestfriend, aka gigglejuice, or Ms.-That's-Not-Hummus, who by the way use to think baking and cooking were stressful and even considered vegetarianism so she wouldn't have to learn how to cook meat (yeah .. yeah.. you said that in grade 11!) has been busy in the kitchen. But she's not just making simple salads or cookies and cakes .. No no .. she's making a special chocolate mousse, one that you can feel good about eating, one that contains good fats that you can hug and not worry about how they'll affect your baseline cholesterol. Oh yes .. it's a vegan chocolate mousse made with ... avocado!

Now, I'm not a big fan of avocado, but apparently, you don't need to be because all you taste is the rich chocolatey-ness. The avocado does it's job by giving it that silky texture that's a must-have when it comes to chocolate mousse. But don't take my word for it -- I haven't tried it yet. I've only drooled over the pictures that she sent me. But if she likes it, and she's one big chocolate fan, then I'm 100% sure that it's that good. Now I'm leaving ... to get some avocado. But I leave you with her words ...

Oh, and if you're reading, Blackcurrent, I'm betting your tasters will all be proponents on this one. Hey gigglejuice, what's your manifesto??


There's lots of recipes for the mousse.... I picked the easiest ... lol...
but probably the healthiest. This makes 2ish servings:

1 avocado (ripe!), cut up
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup agave nectar, maple syrup or honey (I used a combo of agave and
honey. Next time would use a little less because I like some of the
bitterness of cocoa)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup (more or less) of almond milk (probably could use soy or even
water) -- optional

1. Blend everything but the milk together in a food processor (I used my
mini-chopper. Probably could use a blender, but might not work as easily).
Then once combined, drizzle in the almond milk while the processor is
running until it's the smoothness/consistency you like. It still tastes
great without the milk, it's just a little thicker and denser.

2. If you don't eat it right out of the food processor, pour into a dish or
smaller dishes. If you don't eat it all right away, it's good chilled.

3. While you're cleaning up, try not to cut your tongue licking the food
processor blades. (Using a blender may be safer).

4.Take a moment... or several moments. Yeah. It's freakin' awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment