Friday, April 15, 2011

The Baking Days



I'm speaking of the baking days like they were a thing of the past ... They're not. Really, they're not. I'm being a little over-dramatic. It's been a long week. I wanted to bake, but stuff got in the way. Lots of stuff. Lots of stressful, last-minute stuff.

On Wednesday, right smack in the middle of all the stressful action, I longed for one of these muffins. Apple tahini muffins to be exact. I made them awhile ago when I wanted to bake up some wholesome treats to help ease me through report card writing. And they really hit the spot -- incredibly moist and flavourful with a big, rich tahini punch that rounded out the tart, sweet grated apples that just about melted into the muffin. Along with the whole wheat flour, and wheat bran, these little mini-muffin-gems were also a much-needed energy booster just as my batteries were running low.


Darn. I should have planned ahead and made a batch of these last weekend before the madness started. Oh well. I have a big long-weekend to look forward to, and you can bet that I'll be back in the kitchen, covered in flour, working through a batch of something warm and fragrant.

Apple Tahini Muffins
makes 24 mini muffins

1 egg
1 tablespoon of canola oil
2 tablespoons of tahini
1/4 cup of yogurt
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
2 little apples, grated

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, tahini, yogurt, honey and milk until well-combined.

2. Sift in the flour and baking soda and powder. Add the wheat bran and give everything a big but gentle stir. Add in the grated apples and mix until just combined.

3. Spoon the batter into lined mini-muffin tins and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top of each one. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with tahini! I eat it straight from the jar with a spoon, like peanut butter - is that weird? I'd never have thought to put some in muffins; I must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. monkia, tahini is definitely one of my new loves. it's so intense and rich.. peanut butter's competition, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! What grade do you teach? I'm studying to be a teacher, and I want to teach primary school. I guess I'll have to make things like this when I'm marking as well!

    I hope your week isn't too stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks ursula! i'm a french teacher for grades 6-8. it's so nice to hear that you're studying to be a teacher! these treats will definitely get you through marking :)

    ReplyDelete