Saturday, June 11, 2011

Orange Strawberry Pizza



Do you know Joy the Baker? I don't mean do you know her, know her, but do you know of her blog? I'm pretty sure you do, because everyone does. She's awesome for so many reasons but I love her mostly because she does crazy things that you would never think of doing (like make hot chocolate popovers that taste just like hot chocolate and drink kale, pear and spinach smoothies!), but when you try it, the results are awesome.

She made a recent post featuring strawberry balsamic flat bread. How did she know that the first Ontario strawberries were in the market? I couldn't resist making a version of my own. Here's what I did:




I made half a batch of this easy pizza dough recipe, only I skipped the rosemary in favour of some fresh thyme, and added some orange zest. While it was resting, I marinated some sliced Ontario strawberries in a sprinkling of sugar, a generous splash of balsamic vinegar and more orange zest. While the berries and dough were hanging out, I washed and chopped some fresh spinach. I rolled out the dough, drizzled it with olive oil, sprinkled on the spinach, then the strawberries in their beautiful balsamic-y juices and added some mild Canadian goat cheese on top. It went in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes and came out fantastic. A last sprinkling of freshly chopped basil, right from the balcony garden and it was total perfection. A perfect summer supper.

Thanks, Joy! You rock my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment