Friday, March 16, 2012

Citrus High


Yup, I'm still on a citrus high from all that marmalade. I have no idea why I waited so long to make it, but I'm so glad I finally did. I'm enjoying my last official day of March break and I'm up to my elbows in chocolate (more later .. I promise!). My taste buds are also craving tangy and sweet and that 2/5$ sale on bags of California cuties at Food Basics is totally egging on my citrus high.

So for lunch, I made a super healthy and delicious salad using my homemade marmalade and newly purchased mandarin oranges. It totally hit the spot -- warm quinoa and kale tossed in a sweet citrus tahini dressing with whole segments or mandarin oranges. I wanted my dressing to be sweet, but you could totally go all tangy by adding lemon juice instead of orange juice. It feels like a cleansing salad and the protein power of quinoa and iron-rich kale are bound to keep you energized. I'm sure it would make a great working lunch salad too .. if you can plan ahead that far.


Ok, I'm going back to my chocolate. I'll be back soon with details, and also a hearty, healthy supper post.

Happy Citrus!

Warm Quinoa and Kale Salad with Sweet Citrus Dressing
serves one!

For the dressing:
2 tablespoons of tahini
2 teaspoons of marmalade
1 tablespoon of orange juice
splash of hot water (if necessary)

Whisk all the ingredients together except the water. If the tahini seizes up (which is normal), add a splash of water and whisk until smooth. Set aside.

For the salad:
1/4 cup of quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup of water
1-2 kale leaves, stems removed, leaves cut into ribbons
1 mandarin orange

1. In a small pot, combine water and quinoa. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and cook, covered for about 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and the water is almost all absorbed.

2. Add the kale leaves to the pot, cover and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove the cover, and give it a good mix to toss up the leaves with the quinoa.

3. Pour your greens and grains into a bowl. Peel and segment your mandarin and scatter it over top. Drizzle your sweet citrus dressing over top and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment